Indian Point Park: Ohio Historical Marker 27-43 – 2009
Lower Point – 12951 Seeley Rd Leroy Twp.
Upper Point – 13165 Seeley Rd Leroy Twp
As the fall season winds down, there is still time to enjoy a brisk hike thru history in one of eastern Lake County’s often overlooked parks – Indian Point
Fast Facts –
- 408 total acres
- Listed on the National Park Services Historic Places
- Whittlesey Culture occupied a 100’ ridge & constructed stockade villages on the bluffs 900AD-1650 AD (heyday -1200)
- Charles Whittlesey an Ohio Geologist circa 1837 uncovered the history of the tribes in this area and is credited with their story / artifact recovery as well as final naming of the Whittlesey Culture
- Phelps family was deeded the property in 1802 from the Connecticut Land Company / Western Reserve
- Charles Lyman acquired the property (corner of Grand River & Paine Creek) in 1901
- Lyman started a military camp for H.S. boys on the site named Camp Wissolohican. More than 150 boys participated in the camp thru 1915
- Next life was as a Finnish Camp – Kaleva Lodge thru the 1970s (included sauna)
- Lake Metroparks bought it from John Phelps in 1964.
Submitted by Dan Maxson
Community Media Blogger – The News-Herald Volunteer Curator – The Old Stone Schoolhouse Volunteer – FHHS / Fairport Harbor Lighthouse & Marine Museum